SAH, SHA, & TRA Grants & Assistance
Portico Realty partners with our US veterans and Active-Duty military to help with affordable and adaptive housing options. Our team of expert realtors will assist you in securing grants from the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) and finding a property that meets your requirements.
Specially Adapted Housing Grant (SAH)
The DVA has grant money for Service members and Veterans with certain permanent and total service-connected disabilities. These grants are to help purchase or construct an adapted home or modify an existing home to accommodate a disability. Two grant programs exist, the Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grant and the Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) grant.
How to use an SAH Grant
- Construct a specially adapted home on land to be acquired
- Build a home on land already owned if it is suitable for specially adapted housing
- Remodel an existing home if it can be made suitable for specially adapted housing
- Apply the grant against the unpaid principal mortgage balance of an adapted home already acquired without the assistance of a VA grant
Special Housing Adaptation (SHA)
Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) grants are available for veterans to use to adapt or purchase a home to assist in mobility based or service-connected disabilities.
How to Use SHA Grants
- Adapt an existing home the veteran, or a family member, already owns and in which the veteran lives
- Adapt a home the veteran, or family member, intends to purchase in which the veteran will live
- Help a veteran purchase a home, already adapted, in which the veteran will live